Secure Jobs Secure Data is a joint campaign of the Australian Services Union and the Finance Sector Union focused on the crisis facing professional services workers whose jobs are being offshored at an alarming rate.
The campaign is also concerned about the offshoring of Australian’s sensitive personal data following local jobs going offshore, and how this affects our privacy and security.
“Offshoring and Off Work” Report
The Australian Services Union and the Finance Sector Union commissioned the National Institute of Economic and Industry Research to examine offshoring and its impact on Australian workers. The report confirmed business offshoring practices are costing Australia 20,000-25,000 administrative and financial services jobs every year.
- News item from the NIEIR Report launch: 80,000 service sector jobs lost overseas – Unions call for industry plan
- NIEIR Report: Off-shore and off work: The future of Australia’s service industries in a global economy
- NIEIR Report: Off-shore and off work – Summary
The White Collar Jobs Crisis
To amplify our campaign against offshoring, the Australian Services Union and the Finance Sector Union commissioned a video showing the human face of the crisis. This ASU/FSU presentation to the ACTU Congress on the state of the white collar sector threw a spotlight on the crisis facing not just workers in the sector but the Australian economy in general.
News item about the video launch: Stop offshoring our future, 16 May 2012
History of the campaign
The ASU, FSU and other unions saw the looming crisis caused by offshoring many years ago. In 2008, NIEIR was commissioned by the Australian Services Union, the Finance Sector Union and other concerned unions to produce their first report into offshoring.
- News item about the launch of the 2008 report: ASU news: New report counts costs of globalisation 080527
- 2008 NIEIR Report: Off-Shore and Off Work – The future of Australian service industries in a global economy – A call to action