Today the Fair Work Commission approved ASU/Qantas EBA 10.
Two employee bargaining reps from Brisbane Airport appeared at the Fair Work Commission representing their own interests to oppose the approval of the agreement.
These two employees argued that certain part time conditions in the EBA indirectly discriminated against them.
Both the ASU and Qantas submitted that none of the clauses in EBA 10 contained any discriminatory terms. Commissioner Johns completely rejected the claims of the two staff from Brisbane and went on to approve the agreement.
The ASU takes very seriously its obligations and responsibilities to ensure every EBA we negotiate is lawful and is supported by the members of the union. It is important to note that EBA 10 was overwhelmingly approved by ASU members and was the subject of full consultation with members throughout the process.
We believe that EBA 10 delivers some important improvements to ASU members:
• 3 year EBA to 30 June 2016.
• 3 % p.a. from first pay period on or after 1 July 2013, 1 July 2014 and 1 July 2015.
• Change in the higher duties and promotion increments to third pay point for jobs at the next level
• Commitments on Job security for Airports in relation to Next Gen Check-in
• Commitments on the use of QGS and other Qantas subsidiaries in Airports, Freight and Catering
• Rostering committees with agreed constitution at each airport to continue
• Establishment of National Airports’ Rostering Committee
• New policy changes to special leave to allow access for family violence situations
• Commitments on job security for Telephone Sales Staff and the continuation of the national committee on work load and work allocation
• 50/52 purchase of annual leave for all day work areas and introduction of 50/52 in shift work areas from July 2014
• Range of problems and wording in the EBA have been fixed
What happens next?
The agreement will come into force on the 6th of November 2013.
Qantas have advised the ASU that back-pay will occur as follows:
• Levels 1 -9 – pay period on 3rd of December – new rates will apply and back-pay will be paid
• SPs – pay period on the 17th of December – new rates will apply and back-pay will be paid.