Today we wrote to airlines and ground handlers to seek an urgent update on today’s tourism and aviation sector announcement and the impact it will have on the organisation. Details of the letter are included below.
We have also formally written to the Federal Government to seek an urgent briefing on what today’s announcement means for airlines workers. You can find a copy of the letter to Treasurer Frydenberg, Deputy Prime Minister McCormack and Minister Tehan here
Can you help us reach the PM?
There are many ways you can support the campaign to Keep Australia Flying.
- Send an email to the PM directly via our website: https://keepaustraliaflying.com/
- Contact Prime Minister Morrison’s office directly and let him know why you and your colleagues need the support of JobKeeper as we get more planes back in the air: (02) 9523 0339
- Take a selfie with our Keep Australia Flying poster here (or better yet, make your own!) and share on your socials using the hashtag #keepaustraliaflying
RE: Government support package for aviation industry
We write on behalf of our members at Qantas Airways Limited. On Thursday, 11 March 2021, the Federal Government announced a support package for the tourism and aviation sectors. We seek your urgent advice on the anticipated impact of these announcements on your organisation.
In particular, we seek the following information:
1. Can you provide details on the anticipated impact of this announcement on your company, and on your employees. In particular, please advise the anticipated impact on average rostered hours for employees, and the number of employees required to be stood up.
2. We note that the Government has also confirmed that the JobKeeper scheme will not be
extended again. What are your plans in relation to stand downs and rostering after the JobKeeper scheme (and the JobKeeper stand down provisions of the Fair Work Act) ends at the end of March?
3. This is a significant investment of public money and the benefit must flow through to your
employees. We seek your commitments to the following while you are in receipt of this government support:
a. you will not implement any forced redundancies;
b. employees will not be stood down without pay after the JobKeeper scheme ends, and some payments will be made to any employees who are stood down.
We seek your response as a matter of urgency, but no later than close of business on Wednesday 17 March 2021.
We look forward to working with you to build a secure future for our members in the aviation