We were all caught unawares late yesterday when Menzies announced that they would be making significant changes to the annual leave application process. The announcement was made without any prior notice or consultation with your union or with staff.
The ASU has written to Menzies today to express our disappointment with this announcement on the back of a very difficult year. We will be holding discussions with management next week and will provide an update to union members.
Menzies’ proposal may provide some certainty to staff who wish to have their annual leave approved with as much notice as possible. However, this should not extend to forcing all staff to submit leave requests while there’s still so much uncertainty around schedules and travel next year.
We will be raising the following issues with Menzies, amongst others:
- Allow staff to apply for annual leave for the whole 2021 year if they wish
- Confirm that leave applications through to the end of 2021 can be confirmed and won’t be waitlisted or amended by the company as schedules change
- An extension on the 26 November submission date
- Options for further opportunities to apply for leave next year, without having to lock in all leave now
A genuine ability to amend leave
- If you have any questions please contact ASU Organiser Imogen Sturni at firstname.lastname@example.org
By your side,