Your ASU representatives have finally received a list of changes that Virgin wants to make to the enterprise agreement. It’s not pretty.
Virgin wants to cut employees’ take home pay by making the following changes:
- Increase the spread of hours from 0700 – 1800 to 0600 – 1800
This means employees would lose penalties on shifts starting before 7am, and penalties will only be paid on shifts starting before 6am.
- Reduce higher duties allowance
Virgin want to remove the current entitlement to higher duties allowance where an employee works more than 8 hours in a higher classification in a week. Instead, employees would only be paid higher duties where they work more than 4 hours in a higher classification in one shift.
- Reduce overtime
Virgin wants to limit the circumstances in which employees will be paid overtime. They want to:
- Amend the overtime trigger for part time and casual employees from 8 hours a day to 10 hours a day
- Change the overtime trigger for part time employees from 76 hours averaged over a fortnight to 152 hours averaged over 28 days
- Change the agreement so shifts taken as personal/carers leave or annual leave do not count towards determining whether an employee has worked 38 hours per week for the purposes of overtime
Virgin also wants to:
- Reduce personal/carers leave accrual from 18 days a year to 13 days a year
- Remove Recognition Days altogether
- Give themselves the right to automatically deduct overpayments from employee wage
- Give themselves the right to conduct searches of employee personal property when they are “investigating property theft”.
Now is the time to join with your colleagues and stop these changes. Join your union today:www.asu.asn.au/asujoin